The Petlig-Method® is an own further development of the Vetlig- / Zlig-Method and is mainly based on the following modifications:
- due to the use of a more resilient artificial cruciate ligament of the Novalig® brand, we no longer see any tears in the artificial cruciate ligaments so far
- made with the same medical fibers used in human medicine
- the braided structure of the Novalig® tape, tissue growth is favored and mechanical resistance is maximized (proven to be better than free fibers)
- the Novalig® band was developed with French specialist surgeons and the Vetagro Sup University
- the Novalig® tapes are manufactured in France
- from the manufacturer of the Novalig® tape - Novetech comes a complete set of instruments specially developed for dogs and cats - especially important also the aiming device, which enables a constantly reproducible drilling of the necessary tunnel
- the Novalig-Band® is meanwhile proven in 10 different applications and not only limited to the Petlig-Method® (e.g. also for lateral thread reins)
Petlig Method® - Advantages:
The Petlig-Method®, which has been developed from the experience of more than 200 Zlig-/Vetlig operations in the last two years, has the following advantages in our opinion, among others, against the mentioned methods but also against TTA or TPLO:
When analyzing the above-mentioned studies on TPLO or TTA, they all have in common that the healing of the bone structure - especially around the drill holes but also with the screws used - is one of the main weak points in the healing process. Therefore, it was important to us to reduce the use of screws as much as possible and thus to enable an even higher probability of success for the patients' chances of healing. This is achieved, among other things, through the use of artificial ligaments, which are fixed with so-called Togglen.
Due to the fact that the Novalig® tapes are superior to comparable competing suppliers in terms of structure, but also durability, with 8000 Nm, the use of these tapes is an important part of the Petlig Method®.
Furthermore, we use the so-called inside-out method during the operation.
A significant advantage especially in older animals with bilateral cruciate ligament rupture is:
With our well-rehearsed team we operate on both legs at the same time, i.e. the animal has the anesthesia risk only once and the surgery duration is similar to that of a simple cruciate ligament surgery, since two surgeons are in action at the same time. In contrast, according to the TPLO method, this phenomenon would have to be treated in two surgeries, with 8 weeks of healing time between each surgery. This means a double risk of anesthesia and poorer chances of healing for the operated leg as well, since it cannot be fully loaded, but also does not receive support from the leg that has not yet been operated on.
Bilateral cruciate ligament ruptures in dogs - operated according to the Petlig Method®:
Other examples of use of Novalig tape® - described in technical articles:
Lameness of the pelvic limbs - i.e. the dog is pierced (a so-called partial plantigrady associated with crabs
Here you can request a non-binding consultation with Ms. Arndt, veterinarian: