It is mentioned in the codex of the Loch monastery in 786 as "Cnutlinga". Various grave finds refer to a settlement in the Bronze Age. The fate of Knielingen was, as in Daxlanden, strongly influenced by the Rhine. The loss of areas now lying on the left bank of the Rhine was brought about by Tulla's Rhine correction from 1817 onwards. In 1902 the Maxau harbour, built in 1835, was closed in favour of the new municipal harbour. The Karlsruhe Rhine ports are among the most important inland ports in Europe with a total turnover of 6.3 million tons per year. Knielingen has the second largest district of all districts of Karlsruhe. The district was spared the destruction of the war and became an important industrial location, among others due to Siemens and the refinery. Since the Rhine bridge is considered a direct regional connection to the Palatinate on the left bank of the Rhine and the French Alsace, but is heavily frequented, the construction of a second Rhine bridge, possibly on the Knielingen district, is becoming more and more probable. Odour nuisances from the sewage treatment plant and the refinery are perceived as annoying. The advantages for the citizens are a quiet environment and high social integration.
After the withdrawal of the American forces, a modern local supply centre and living space for 2000 inhabitants is being built on the former barracks grounds. Community facilities and commercial areas are still to follow.