Rüppurr, which is located in the south of Karlsruhe, was first mentioned in a document in 1103 as "Rietburg". The name "Rietburg" means "house in the reed or swamp". Reference is made to Ober- and Unterrüppurr as well as to a castle district in 1265, and to a St. Nicholas Chapel in 1351. Rüppurr became Protestant as a result of the division of the Baden market county of Baden-Durlach. The last public execution in Baden took place here in 1834. With the opening of the Albtalbahn in 1898, the development into a satellite city of Karlsruhe was finally accelerated. At Rüppurr's instigation, the incorporation into Karlsruhe followed in 1907 with 2574 inhabitants and an area of 800 hectares. The construction of the second oldest garden city settlement after Dresden-Hellerau began in the same year. Today Rüppurr is one of the most sought-after residential areas in Karlsruhe and stands for quiet and pleasant living. With the Herrenalber Straße and the motorway and the passage to the Albtal, the district has a considerable amount of traffic in the centre and thus a flip side of the otherwise idyllic surroundings.