In the middle of the nineteenth century, the Südstadt was created as a workers' residential area and as the first urban expansion south of the first railway station on the Kriegsstraße. The number of inhabitants increased within 20 years to 15000, after the building ban was lifted in 1847. In 1900, as today, Werderplatz offered a centre with shops. An above-average number of railway and post office employees lived in Südstadt until 1950. In 1970, parts of the old railway station served as a market hall. Next to it there was the post office directorate. With services, hotels and authorities, Südstadt became a link between the centre and the main railway station. A central green corridor was planned during the reconstruction after the Second World War, during which over 54% of the district was destroyed. As a result, buildings of Mona and Parkhotel (today: Queens) were built. The new Baden State Theatre was built in place of the market hall, open spaces on the green corridor remained restricted.