Grötzingen is a district on the eastern edge of Karlsruhe. In 1974 Grötzingen was incorporated into the city of Karlsruhe. The district has 9,168 inhabitants as of 2014. Grötzingen was first mentioned in 985 under the name "Grezingen", which was derived from the name of the clan elder "Grezzo". In the twelfth century Durlach was founded on Grötzingen district. The Durlacher Turmberg served in the thirteenth century the Grötzinger count as a manor house. In the 19th century the Grötzinger painter colony was created, most well-known members were: Friedrich Kallmorgen, Magarethe Hormnuth-Kallmorgen, Gustav Kampmann, Karl Biese, Franz Hein, Jenny Fikentscher, Otto Fikentscher and Oskar Hagemann. In 1903 the group finally disbanded, and many Grötzingen cultural workers still see themselves in this tradition today. In 1888, the year in which the painters' colony was founded, Bertha Benz took the route from Mannheim via Grötzingen to Pforzheim.
Since 2008, the Bertha Benz Memorial Route, which runs through Grötzingen, has commemorated this first long-distance automobile journey in history. In March 1973, a village decision was made to admit Grötzingen to the Pfinztal community. The vote showed that 63% were in favour of joining and 26% against. Since 44,58 % of the voters were in favour of the accession, Grötzingen was not incorporated. One year later Grötzingen was incorporated in Karlsruhe. Grötzingen has a station on the railway line Karlsruhe - Mühlacker, as well as the Kraichgaubahn to Heilbronn. At the station, the city trains of the Stadtbahn Karlsruhe currently stop. In former times regional trains stopped at the station. The used platform has been abandoned in the meantime and is weathering with time. The Grötzinger station is also served by bus lines 21 and 22, which go to Durlacher Turmberg or to neighbouring villages.